In our newest novel, My Secret Dragon by Debbie Thomas, young readers will not only meet Aidan and his part-dragon mother, they will not only meet Charlotte and her fantastic mythological stories, they will not only travel around Ireland for a fantastic, mysterious and dangerous adventure… Young readers will also learn to cook some extraordinary recipes!
As a taste of My Secret Dragon, by Debbie Thomas, you can try to cool this delicious honey-raisin-avocado ice-cream, which is perfect for hot days, parties and the throats of part-dragons damaged by fire extinguisher foam!
YOU WILL NEED…
- 2 large, ripe avocados
- 1 can (395g) condensed milk
- 1½ cups double cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Handful of raisins
- Sealable freezer bag
- And a food processor!
READY? LET’S COOK!
1. Peel the avocados and put the flesh in a food processor.
2. Add the condensed milk, double cream, honey and raisins. Mix until smooth.
Small tip: Mix the fruit first before adding the condensed milk, double cream and honey.
3. Spoon the mixture into a freezer bag, squeeze out any extra air and seal the bag. Lay flat in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours until almost firm.
4. Remove from the bag and break into chunks. Return the green mixture to the food processor and blend until smooth.
5. Spoon the mixture into a loaf tin or an airtight container with a tight-fitting lid (an old ice cream box will do). Cover the mixture with plastic wrap, pressing it down on the surface. Then put on the container lid, making sure it’s sealed properly.
6. Freeze for another 4 to 5 hours or until the ice cream is firm.
7 (the easiest part of the recipe). Enjoy it! You can share it with friends or your family… or eat it alone to have more of this delicious ice cream just for you!